About our Club
Chelmsfordians tennis club is a members club and we welcome new members regardless of age or playing standard. We have a coaching structure to help beginners and develop existing players. Families and junior members are particularly welcome. The club has achieved Tennismark accreditation and operates within all required child protection requirements and guidelines.
We are the tennis section of the Old Chelmsfordians Association (OCA) based at Lawford Lane on the west side of Chelmsford, The main club consists of a large field for cricket and football, plus three floodlit all-weather tennis courts with a separate pavilion within the court boundaries. Through membership of the tennis section, adult members also become members of the OCA. Tennis Club members are able to use the facilities of the renovated club house including a licensed bar, kitchen, changing rooms, toilets and showers. The aim of the club is to promote interest in tennis for all ages, through social play, coaching and competition. We play club tennis in local summer and winter leagues and we have a thriving junior section. Visitors and guests are encouraged to test our facilities before becoming members.
Here are a few important housekeeping points to bear in mind:
- Entry is by key (kept in a key safe by the door, same code as other padlocks).
- If you choose to open the bi-fold doors, please do so slowly and carefully, making sure that the rubber trim by the runners does not come out of place. The correct procedure is – open the single door, push it back so that it attaches magnetically to the middle section, rotate the lever between the second and third panel through a half turn to release these doors and then gently push the doors as they fold back towards the notice board.
- Please place all rubbish in the bin outside which is on the ‘road’ side of the pavilion. The bins in the toilets are for paper towels only – strictly no other waste.
- Practice balls are available in the drawer unit in the alcove at the back left of the pavilion.
- Floodlight switches are in the unit attached to the wall, inside the pavilion, to the left of the door.
Derek Rogers is the Head Coach and he is assisted by Alan Coulthard – they are both licensed by the LTA. The Club offers both private and group tuition. Membership is not required for coaching sessions but coaching is offered at a reduced rate to club members. Non members may attend coaching sessions but they are not eligible to represent the Club in competitive matches. Find out more about coaching here.
The main club competitions take place during the summer leading up to our Finals Day in September. We run nine competitions in all, Boys Singles, Girls Singles, Girls Doubles, Ladies’ Singles, Men’s Singles (Open), Men’s Singles (Veterans), Ladies’ Doubles, Men’s Doubles and Mixed Doubles.
We currently field 9 teams in local summer and winter leagues – 3 Men’s, 3 Ladies, I Ladies Seniors and 2 Mixed. We also run a Ladies’ Doubles tournament each month, usually on the 1st Sunday, contact Alfia Bridgeman on 07801 228941for details.
We strive to meet all of the Child Protection and Equality and Diversity requirements. Our policies and codes of practice are displayed below. Derek Rogers and Alan Coulthard are both licensed LTA coaches with current DBS checks. They should be able to address any concerns in the first instance but if not, Maria Kaverina is our Welfare Officer and she can be contacted on 07989 950131.
Our policies are available to view below as well as in the club pavilion: